Sesame Salmon Salad
Sesame salmon. A winning combination! This is one of our favourite meals. It is actually quite easy, looks pretty impressive and tastes great. A great dinner party dish! (Trust me – we don’t eat meals that look like this every night!!) I love the Japanese inspired flavours and salmon is my favourite fish. You can easily serve this with some steamed rice on the side.
SERVES 4 ~ GLUTEN FREE ~ DAIRY FREE ~ NUT FREE ~EGG FREE
WHAT YOU NEED:
- Two salmon fillets, boned and cut into inch pieces
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 2 small lebanese cucumbers, peeled into long, thin strips
- 1 cup of coriander
- 2 cups of bean sprouts
- 1 long, red chilli, seeded and finely chopped (if you hate chilli just leave it out)
- Rice to serve with the dish (optional)
FOR THE SESAME DRESSING:
- 2 Tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 spring onion, finely chopped
- 1 small clove of garlic, chrushed or finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup tamari (Can used soy sauce if not gluten free)
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons of rice vinegar
HOW TO DO IT:
- First, make the sesame dressing. Stir sesame seeds over low heat in a small saucepan / frypan for a couple of minutes or until lightly brown. Grind in a morter and pestle, place in a small bowl.
- Add the rest of the dressing ingredients – spring onion, garlic, sesame oil, coconut sugar, tamari, rice vinegar and stir to combine. Set aside for a minute.
- Put some rice on to boil if you would like some on the side.
- Cut your salmon into evenly sized pieces, place in a bowl and drizzle over two Tablespoons of the dressing. Toss to coat, and leave to marinade whilst you prepare the salad.
- Get out a large serving platter, and arrange the cucumber ribbons and the bean sprouts and coriander on top. Lightly toss to combine them together.
- Sprinkle the chopped chilli on top. If you are not a fan, then leave it out. Or take some for the kids first, then add the chilli.
- Heat a fry pan over medium heat and add the Olive oil. Cook the Salmon in batches to your liking. (About a minute each side is good!)
- Place the salmon on top of the cucumber and sprout mixture, and then pour the rest of the dressing evenly over the top of the salad.
- Serve and enjoy (with a nice glass of white!)
**You will note there isn’t any coriander in my photo – I forgot it!! Arghh….wanted to get this recipe out before Easter though so it will have to do. Don’t you hate that, when you leave something off the plate? I was notorious for leaving things in the microwave when we had one…..