Banana and date loaf
This is my husband’s recipe. He doesn’t bake very often, but lately he has been known to commandeer the kitchen for a long time on a Sunday afternoon while he bakes this beauty. He is so exact with his measurements, it drives me crazy!! He does though, to his credit, produce a beautiful banana and date loaf every single time that rises to perfection. He enjoys his banana and date loaf for morning teas throughout the week.
This is perfect for anyone wanting a healthier version of a banana bread. Lower in sugar than a lot of versions out there, and is great for school lunchboxes (without the added walnuts)
If you are looking for a gluten and dairy free banana bread I recommend The Healthy Chef’s Banana bread.
2 cups of wholemeal self-raising flour
100g fresh medjool dates, chopped
1/3 cup coconut or rapadura sugar
1 cup milk
1 cup mashed banana (you want to have about 2 large, very ripe ones)
1 tsp bicarb soda
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 t cinnamon
1/2 cup crushed walnuts and extra to decorate top (omit for school lunchboxes)
1. Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Line a loaf pan with non-stick baking paper .
2. Sift your flour, bicarb soda and spices into a large bowl.
3. Stir your chopped dates and sugar through.
4. In a separate bowl, combine your mashed banana with the eggs and milk.
5. Pour the liquid mixture into the flour bowl and combine all together.
6. Pour into your pan. Decorate the top with a handful of crushed walnuts.
6. Bake for 45 – 50 minutes, until a knife comes out clean.
Enjoy toasted, covered in butter!